Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mother Knows Best?

I was listening to V-103 on the way to work this morning -- yes, I listen to hip-hop/R&B stations in the car (can you say well-rounded?) -- and they were having an interesting discussion on prostitution. "Is it right or wrong?" "Church-goers who pay for childcare and grocery bills with money earned "on the side"? Afterall, it is a recession, and "everybody gotta have their hustle." Am I right?

The calls were entertaining, and the debate over prostitution is fascinating. As a feminist, I'm not really sure where I stand. I can see both sides -- and yes, there are feminist arguments for both. I won't flesh that out here, or at least not today. We'll save that for a rainy day.

I just had to share the last caller's story with you because I thought it was hilarious. A woman calls in and shares this little nugget of maternal wisdom:
"My momma said, 'As long as you got a workin' box, your kids'll never go hungry." And she was right!'"

After finding out that beer isn't even recession-proof, I guess sex is the last sure-bet moneymaker. [Cue James Brown's "Shake Yr Moneymaker"]

See? Mother really does know best.

No comments: