5. Phantom Planet (8/30/2004), The Cotton Club (Atlanta):
- Reason #1 = Too Old.
- Reason #2 = Too far behind on my OC knowledge. (see also Reason #1)
- RESULT: Stayed until the end. Laughed at myself & my friend. Sang along to "California."
4. June of 44/Rex/Him ( 11/?/1996) The Rec Center Antioch College (Antioch, OH):
- Reason = Too Sober. (For the weirdness that went on that night, that is... JO44 was one of my favorite bands at the time, but that was one WEIRD show.)
- RESULT: Someone pulled the fire alarm, and the show ended early. We left Antioch shaking our heads, and are still confused to this day.
3. Reverend Horton Heat (9/4/2004) The Cotton Club (Atlanta):
- Reason = Too Indie Rock. (The show was awesome, and I enjoyed it. If you could see the fans there, you'd know what I mean. For a visual think "forearm size"....think of the size of an indie rocker's wrist and an ironworker's wrist. Got it?)
- RESULT: Drank many tall-boy PBR's for courage, stood next to my tall friend, and loved it.
2. The Gossip (2/?/2006) The Drunken Unicorn (Atlanta):
- Reason #1 = Too Straight.
- Reason #2 = (possibly?) Not Drunk Enough.
- RESULT: Stayed for the whole show & was hit on by my tiny-lesbian friend who attended my wedding. She was, in fact, "drunk enough." I didn't mind much. I take what I can get. (Kidding!)
1. Modest Mouse (12/16/2007) Gwinnett Center Arena (Atlanta):
- Reason #1 = Too knowledgable about the band's "personalities"
- Reason #2 = Too old/cynical to enjoy it anymore (and therefore, mad at myself)
- RESULT: Left after 3 songs. Vowed to love them as I remembered them, but won't see them live again. (For more on Modest Mouse shows, stay tuned to my upcoming "Top 5 Shows of All Time" and perhaps the more-entertaining "Top 5 Reasons NEVER to Visit Cleveland.")